5 Reasons to “Go Green” and 3 Ways How
Everyone wants to go green these days. We hear and read a lot about switching to organic products, wearing organic clothes, recycling, and our impact on the environment. But some people don’t understand why it’s important that we lessen our impact on our one and only Earth. Here are 5 reasons why you should “go green” and 3 simple ways how.
Five Reasons to Go Green
1. Eating organic and local food will improve your overall health. Not only do organic foods taste better, but they’re better for our health. They contain more nutrients than non-organic food and don’t contain pesticides or harmful chemicals that large, factory-farms use to preserve food. By buying local, you’re supporting a farmer who didn’t pollute as much as the farming conglomerate, which means better air quality for us all.
2. You are keeping the Earth clean and helping the environment. Organic materials can either be re-purposed for something else, or recycled and turned into new materials again. Reducing waste is the most important part of reducing strain on the environment. Your choices also help keep water clean and protects forests and other natural habitats.
3. You can slow down global warming. Global warming is partially caused by greenhouse emissions, which comes from all the cars we have on the road these days. By sharing a car or using public transportation, you’re reducing your carbon footprint, and slowing global warming.
4. You are supporting humane practices. Lots of eco-friendly products come from communities that practice fair labor practices, so you know they weren’t made in a sweatshop. Often they’re made right in our own country. Further, organic farmers have standards of treating their animals so you know the animal you’re consuming was treated with dignity.
5. You can save money by going green. Walking or taking public transportation can significantly cut down on gas costs, buying secondhand saves money, and so does growing your own vegetable garden and making your own cleaning products.
Three Changes That Will Make a Difference
1. Buy less and buy eco-friendly. Reduce how much you consume by buying gently used products from thrift stores or consignment stores. Borrow books and DVDs from your local library rather than buy new. And purchase sturdy clothing made from organic materials using eco-friendly techniques.
2. Use natural cleaning products and laundry detergents. All-natural cleaning products don’t contain toxins or chemicals that can harm your family. They use simple cleaning agents that are safe for your body, but still get the job done. Many of these cleaning products can be made right at home.
3. Replace your regular light bulbs. Newer, energy efficient light bulbs use less energy and last much longer. Some can save up to $92 over the course of the bulb’s lifetime! Also, remind your family to turn off lights each time they leave a room, and unplug your electronic devices if you’ll be away for a while.
Written by Holly MacLean from Wee Urban
As a new mom, Holly was driven to start Wee Urban™ to offer the modern family a unique and fresh collection of eco-friendly baby gear and accessories that goes beyond the conventional and explores the exceptional! Tired of traditional pinks and blues and cute motifs, we offer sophisticated designs, “conscious” organic alternatives, practical functionality and superior quality. Using our custom certified organic cotton blends, low-impact dyes, and other trendsetting fabrics, we hope to inspire families to be make better choices and of course- do it all in urban style!
Beyond our organic cotton and azo-free dyes, Wee Urban uses 100% post-consumer packaging and tags for our Wee Dreams™ Sleep Bags. Our distinctive screen-printing is done with 100% eco-inks and are all phthalate free.
We also recycle our remnants and donate as much as possible to local elementary schools to help with arts and crafts programs.
Interested in writing a guest blog for Wee Urban? Send your topic idea to email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Wee Urban makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.